Monday 14 January 2008

Chess Site Management Tools

My enthusiasm for maintaining my various chess related websites is often dependent upon the tools at my disposal. This blog is easy as Google provide all the tools I need, and they are easy to use. Managing my online photo directories is also simple (although the fact my camera disappeared at Ocean Park in Hong Kong has slowed down that aspect of blogging). On the other hand too much html coding, or mucking about with ftp is a disincentive to keep things up to date.
Nonetheless I do get motivated to repair the situation and so I am making an attempt to bring the Street Chess pages up to date. What it really needs is a relatively frequent update of recent results, and to do this I am using SP2HTML, a result generation tool developed by Dr Jonathan Paxman. It takes Swiss Perfect files and generates a set of result and pairing tables for the event. It is pretty simple to use, although with tools of this type you will end up with 20+ html files at the end of the process. However I've just added a 'drag and drop' ftp client to my software environment simplifying that process as well.
Any if you want to have a look at the outcome (and suggest a better colour scheme!) just click on the Street Chess link and look for the recent results link on the right hand side.

1 comment:

Mario said...

hi shaun,
the street chess page looks good, it's great to have it updated with results and all. Yes the colours could be improved (coming from a graphic design student too), but maybe you should make a link from the results page back to the street chess main page?