Saturday 10 July 2010

The most important law of chess?

I purchased a copy of "Find the Right Plan with Anatoly Karpov", written by Karpov and Anatoly Matsukevich, the other day. Previous books by Karpov haven't impressed me much, but this one is actually quite good. I found earlier books by Karpov quite similar to the writings of Capablanca, in that the winning idea or concept seemed to be "play the same moves as Karpov (or Capablanca) played", without necessarily explaining why they were played.
This book in fact goes the other way, with half of it devoted to a single concept, which is titled "The most important law of chess". The law is "Restricting the mobility of your opponent's pieces (and in association with this: domination by your own)" It then goes on to explain the methods you can follow to achieve this, methods which are intended to generate a concrete plan for you to follow.
While this is of course easier said than done, and the book itself admits this, it certainly encourages a more subtle approach to the game. Nonetheless I suspect it needs a level of commitment and understanding beyond what I am capable of to truly work, but I'll at least see if can provide some improvement to my overall results.

1 comment:

Sophie Grace said...

Amazing photos you always share with everyone, Your blog is really perfect and awesome then others. PLease visit webstagram