Saturday 19 March 2011

One from Selesniev


When I'm called upon to put together a collection of puzzles (usually for coaching or magazine articles) there are a number of names that pop up again and again. Now given that I am not really part of the 'problemist' tribe (I'm hopeless at both composing and solving) I don't know much more about the composer than possibly the type of problem they seem to do well.
For example the given study is by Selesniev, and if my memory hasn't failed me, I've seen a number of other rook endings with his named attached. I do like this one, and it is reminiscent of the Saavedra study, in part. To help you along your way, the first move is the obvious one (1.f7) but the challenge is how to deal with Black rook trying to skewer the king and pawn/queen on the f file.

4 comments:

Paul said...

1 Kf7 looks good ...

Anonymous said...

Generally chess puzzles begin with "White to win etc"

Anonymous said...

Is not it the "standard" walk down and up the stairs?

OzChess.com said...

I got it, I think.

After f7, the black rook must check at c6. The white King must remain on the e file for every check, and eventually swing over to f2 and then proceed up the board again where the checks will finally come to an end and white can then promote his pawn!