Thursday 26 April 2012

The people you meet

I've just arrived in Lausanne, after 33 hours of travel from Australia. The trip was relatively stress free, although I still cannot stomach airline breakfast food (I can keep the other meals down, but not breakfast). Having done a similar trip two years ago on Emirates Airlines, I will say that Ethihad provides better in flight service (ie multiple drink runs). When I stopped over at Abu Dhabi Airport, I also bumped in to Dr Nigel Short. He was travelling back from Japan, where he had just played an exhibition match with a couple of top Japanese players. As our planes were departing around the same time we spent a couple of hours drinking coffee and having a chat. The only other ting I've noticed (apart from the 100+ TV channels I get to pick from), is that Facebook has locked me out, which I don't think is bad thing. So if I'm doing 'instant' updates from the meeting, they will most likely go out via my twitter feed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Short a Dr?

Ian Rout said...

Nigel Short has an honorary doctorate from his local. (However people with honorary doctorates don't normally call themselves "Dr", so he probably doesn't.)

Anonymous said...

His local pub? Doctor of beverology?
AO

Ian Rout said...

His local uni (University of Bolton).