Monday 2 June 2014

Surrounded by history

Just a quick travel update. I arrived in Athens this afternoon, after a fairly unmemorable flight from Canberra via Sydney and Abu Dhabi. (It is like catching a very crowded bus for me these days). I'm spending a couple of days as a guest of FIDE Executive Director Nigel Freeman, before moving on to the Rules Commision meeting.
I've discovered that I am surrounded by ancient history where I am located, as the Acropolis overlooks the apartment. Across the road are the remains of Hadrian's Library, while even the local metro station has it's own archeological site. Tomorrow will be a mixture of site seeing the ancient ruins, plus a visit to the FIDE Office to see how things work, up close.
But for now it is the usual travelers lament of being tired at the wrong times of the day, and trying not to make up at 3am local time.

No comments: